Thursday, June 30, 2011

Toe Trauma

Brooklyn loves that dang bear my mom bought Brighton for the hospital door. And I like it too... cute, blue, fluffy... But Brooklyn likes to mash the button on the foot that makes it sing the Lullaby song. Brighton was ALL curled up sleeping and Brooklyn decided it would be a swell idea to play him "Lullaby." Of course the VOLUME (and the volume is unnegotiable) could wake up a zombie. In another country. It sounded like a FIRE alarm went off in the back of the house. And then Brooklyn and bear pranced and danced from room to room. I then decided it sounded more like an ICE CREAM TRUCK going through an eardrum. Brighton, instead of being lulled to sleep by the melodic rendition, startled nearly out of his onesie. Both arms flailed out and his eyes tried to jump out of his face. Luckily, being terrified by noises is a normalcy in our home so, when he realized the danger wasn't immanent, he teetered off back into his slumber. The poor kid.

But we're happily back from our Adventures of Chic Filet. Slidell has a pretty hoppin' parking lot. We enjoyed hanging out there all night. We didn't even take a TENT this time and we slept straight under the stars.... or, in our case, street lights. Oh how it reminds me of our early vacations... (and the recent ones....)... Life is SO fun when you never know WHAT your husband is going to get you into next! And you can't REALLY understand how blessed you are if you don't try to hang out with no air conditioning in the middle of the summer and sleep on a mat that is not even an inch thick while giant crickets that look closely related to the ROACH hop all around the parking lot an inch from your head... I tell you... I'm ONE lucky woman. I own a bed. Enough SAID.

On the way back I had quite a scare. Now, this may seem bizarre and RANDOM, and that would be because it is. The top of my left foot started feeling crawly. So I took a peek at my bare foot that I had propped up on the dash board. The toe neighboring my BIG toe was moving, without my wish or command, toward my big toe RIGHT up until it had smooshed up next to it. THEN it just kept trying to push my big TOE off my foot! My eyes widened and I tried to separate my toes with my foot muscle. NOTHING. So I used my fingers to pry them apart. AND that toe took off towards my big toe again. "STARLING! STARLING! What's my toe doing??!" Starling, who was driving through two slits (eyes) and a snore away from crashing, just shrugged COMPLETELY calm about my runaway toe.

I pulled them apart again and tried to massage my foot. That toe was a rocket. "Its out of CONTROL! MY TOE!! WHY is it DOING this to ME!! HOW DO I STOP IT!? STARLING!" He barely glanced. And with absolutely NO emotion said, "Wendi. I don't know." HMPH. See how fast I come to his rescue when HE has a malfunction of his toe joints. He's just lucky it was a false alarm and my toe has regained its composure. BECAUSE if it HADN'T, I would never forgive him not taking me seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment